Career Exploration Resources
If you are looking for career-related guidance at a local job center, you can drop in to the Hillsdale Job Center (be sure you take your right-to-work documents when you visit):
Sacramento Works / Hillsdale Job Center
5655 Hillsdale Blvd., Suite 8
Sacramento, CA 95842
phone: (916) 236-4100
California Career Zone: http://www.cacareerzone.org/
Career Coach: California Community Colleges: https://ccc.emsicc.com/
My Next Move: http://www.mynextmove.org/
Occupational Outlook Handbook: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/
Salary Surfer http://salarysurfer.cccco.edu/SalarySurfer.aspx
BigFuture by The College Board: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/explore-careers
California Community Colleges (www.cccapply.org)
Students who plan on attending any of the following local community colleges can review step-by-step admissions information at the following Web sites:
submitting the FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid - online at www.fafsa.gov between October 1 and March 2 the year prior to when you plan to attend college.
Students who are not U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens may be eligible to complete the California Dream Act application. Apply on-line at www.caldreamact.org between Oct. 1st and Mar. 2nd. Follow this link to learn more about financial aid for undocumented students living in California.
California Community College students should complete and submit the California College Promise Grant (formerly called Board of Governors Fee Waiver) to their college's financial aid office.
If you are in a life-threatening situation or experiencing a mental health emergency, please call 911 immediately.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1(800) 273-TALK (8255)
Suicide Prevention Crisis Line 916-368-3111
Mental Health 24-Hour Crisis Line 1-888-881-4881
Mental Health Urgent Care Clinic 916-520-2460
Text TALK to 741741
CJUSD Resource Guide https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Sd9E97nnoVtEBCGpTDgO8RaToSQxGH9h5h2YPEyb4CI/edit
International Student Records
Typically, colleges and universities will want to see official translations and evaluations of your international records to determine if you've completed the equivalent of the high school (secondary) level. And, colleges may be able to award you credit for coursework completed at the postsecondary level!
Here are some links to help you learn more about the policies of specific schools in our region:
- Sierra College - search Sierra's most recent Catalog with keywords "International Transcript Acceptance" to learn more!
- Los Rios Community College District (includes American River, Sac City, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake) - accepts foreign transcript evaluations from any agency that is a current member of either AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services).
Interested in receiving recognition for your professional qualifications, education or work experience obtained outside the United States? Please review this guidance on Recognition of Foreign Qualifications from the U.S. Department of Education.
Looking for resources to help you prepare for an interview?
Here are some to get you started!
- Job Preparation (from CaliforniaColleges.edu) - click on the "Preparing for an Interview" tab for some useful tips for Before and the Day Of...
- Types of Interview Questions (from UC Davis Career Center) - see sample questions you may be asked, and also get help formulating your own questions for employers...
- Interviewing (from UC Berkeley Career Center) - comprehensive info about how to prepare, what to wear, and how to Say Thank You afterwards...
- 30 Second Me (template) - take some time to prepare a quick 30-second commercial about yourself! It can help you in interviews, job fairs, cover letters, professional introductions, and more! (Use the template included, and review some of these samples from UC Davis and Indeed.com)
- Job Corps
- Sacramento Job Corps
- California Conservation Corps
- Peace Corps
Sacramento Public Library: Free resources with library card
Free online training at lynda.com (with library card can access lynda.com training free)